Thursday Thirteen #110
This week, by request of Jehara, I bring you information about her local library: The Burton Barr Central Library branch of the Phoenix Public Library. It’s fun to see what different libraries offer.
13 Cool Things At the Phoenix Public Library:
1. They offer booklists on their website, like this parenting one.
2. Burton Barr Central Library has a teen program called Wii Wednesday and offers a resume workshop for job seekers..
3. PPL offers reading level screenings for kids in grades 1-3.
4.The Burton Barr Central Library has 280,000 square feet of space on five levels and contains 705,700 items in its collection.
5. The Burton Barr Central Library is also the home to the Accessibility Center. Need Talking Books, or books in Braille or Large Type? Those are only a couple of the services that they offer.
6. Have a yen to see a page from a Gutenberg Bible or a Shakespeare folio? Check out the Rare Book Room.
7. Need to take a look at an Arizona City Directory from 1892 or some correspondence from Rough Rider James H. McClintock? The Arizona Room is the place for you.
8. The Law Collection is where you can research a law that interests you.
9. The Burton Barr Central Library carries materials in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
10.The Phoenix Public Library offers free wireless internet hotspots as well as on site computers. The Burton Barr Central Library has 151 internet PCs.
11. Need an article for your research project? Try the article databases on the Phoenix Public Library website.
12. Can’t make it into the library today? Check out the Phoenix Public Library’s digital media collection. They offer ebooks, downloadable audiobooks, and downloadable video files.
13. Who doesn’t love a good story? Check out the Storyline (English): (602) 262-4868 & Storyline (Spanish): (602) 262-4039