If you pick up the newspaper or listen to the news, it seems like invention related to personal technology and social media take the spotlight. I love to keep up with this information but I breath a sigh of relief when I see invention and technology that could provide a more profound benefit to people than the latest app craze. Here are a few that I read about last year that caught my attention:
- One of my favorites is the technology that makes plastic out of air.
- The problem of drinkable water is huge so the Slingshot Water Purifier is a great breakthrough (it also mentions an extremely cool earlier invention, the Stirling Engine that unlike the internal-combustion engine requires only an external heat source to run).
- As a bicycle rider, I love the idea of the inflatable bicycle helmet, both functional and fashionable and also a life saver.
- Imagine the impact a foldable microscope that costs as little as fifty cents can have on the health of developing countries.
- Now that they have fulfilled their kickstarter objectives, Circuit Scribe lets you draw circuits instantly before you create your final product. Great for all those new invention ideas.
- Finally, although it’s a way off, I’m still waiting for that electric driverless car that will help lower air pollution as well as hopefully making driving to work safer.
If you have your own favorite new technology that isn’t strictly related to personal social technologies, tell us about them. Also stop by the library and read how inventors and inventions change how we do things and their impact on our lives.