This season is full of different holidays that folks celebrate. There are so many, in fact, that it’s difficult to keep track of them. (Or…maybe that’s just me.) In any case, as a public service I offer you a listing of where we stand in the holiday season
* Eid al-Adha was celebrated this year from 8 December to 11 December. Next year, this Muslim festival will fall in November.
* Saturnalia is an ancient Roman celebration that falls on 17 December.
* Yalda is a Persian holiday celebrated on 21 December.
* Festivus is celebrated on 23 December.
* Christmas (25 December) is over. I hope that those of you who celebrate it had a great one.
* Yule occurs on 25 December, but may include celebrations that occur on the Solstice or other nearby days.
* Boxing Day was on 26 December. Did you find any good sales?
* St. Stephen’s Day is either on 26 December (for the Western church) or 27 December (for the Eastern Church.)
* Hanukkah began at sundown on 21 December and ends at sunset on 29 December.
* Kwanzaa runs from 26 December to 1 January.
* Hogmanay begins on 31 December, but these days it can last a couple of extra days…
* New Year’s Day is always on 1 January.
* Twelfth Night falls on either 5 January (the night before Epiphany) or 6 January (Epiphany) depending upon whom you ask.
* Sankranti falls on 14 January and is celebrated a bit differently depending upon where you live.
Did I miss a holiday? Please let me know, and have an fabulous holiday season.